Thread: Radios
View Single Post
Old 28-12-2015, 17:15   #1
Steerforth

Radios

My mother was Irene Bolton, daughter of Florence (Knight) Bolton who died when my mother was five years old (circa 1926); she was raised by her grandmother, Eliza Adelaide Knight who ran the tripe shop in Clayton from 1900 - 1949. This has been discussed elsewhere in here a few years ago.

My mother worked on munitions during the war while my father was away fighting the Nazis at Dunkirk and in North Africa.

She died this past October at age 94 in Allentown, PA, and I have been fantasizing about the great music she must have heard on the BBC while she was growing up. Ivor Novello, Cole Porter, Gershwin, Kern et al. She had a marvelous soprano's voice, and I remember-well her sing Gershwin's "The Man I Love".

I am curious about the birth of radio and broadcasting. Judging from present trends, we crave new technology, and I am wondering if it was the same for radio. Were the first sets expensive? How long did it take before most households had one? I was born in 1947, and we didn't have a television set until I was eight years old in 1955. I do recall sitting around the radio with a fire in the fireplace listening to the BBC.

The BBC started broadcasting in 1920 , and my understanding is that it caught the public's attention at that point, and radio grew rapidly in the 1920s.

Did the BBC broadcast music most of the time? Was it a twenty-four hour service?

Cheers, Season's Greetings: Merry Christmas to all!
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web