View Single Post
Old 31-01-2016, 19:02   #20
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Bristol Rovers Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
What a superb football match we had today at The WHAM stadium!
Bristol were a very good side and it took a superb performance and 100% application from Stanley to come out on top!
Every Stanley player came out of the match with credit and you could see on the players faces at the end of the match just how chuffed they were to win and to have played in the style which we are used to seeing.
The pitch held up well but was very slippy in the corners but Stanley still produced some sublime passing football once again. But it was also down to their determination and willingness to play for each other that won the match for us!
Pearson was the best of my MEN OF THE MATCH! He was immense and his efforts to keep the ball in play when attacking in the first half almost resulted in Stanley goals. 99 out of 100 players would just not have bothered to keep the ball live but but he somehow twisted his body to hook the ball back in TWICE!
What a wonderful and very important victory in a match which was a credit to both sides and a great advert for our division!
Excellent support from the ULTRAS today and the atmosphere in the Clayton end was superb!
ON STANLEY ON

I wrote this starter for the Match Thread quickly as soon as I got home from the match as I was dashing out with Mrs Choirboy and our two Choir Girls to Manchester to see "Strictly come Dancing on Tour". We had a great night out and it was all the more enjoyable having seen a superb Stanley performance in the afternoon.
On further reflection, and also having read fellow posters comments and having listened to Coley's post match interview I am still basking in the 'After Glow' of the win against a really good Bristol Rovers side who will, as Coley says, be up there at the end of the season challenging for promotion.
Buzza did well to get the playing surface so good after all the problems recently and it was only in the proximity of the corner flags where the pitch was a bit suspect. Well done and thank you to Buzza!
The boys still managed to play some sublime football and stuck to Coley and Jimmy's mantra of playing the passing game. I looked at the BBC Stats and although Bristol didn't have too many fouls awarded against them I thought that in the first half the centre back called Lockyer and the right back got away with several fouls each on Billy Kee, pushing him in the back and holding him down when climbing for high balls. Billy kept his composure though and eventually got totally on top of them in the second half. Billy had a great game! Crooksy lost the thread slightly in the second half which was summed up by him ballooning a simple chance over the crossbar from six yards out but overall he still had a strong game. Pierro was brilliant...a Terrier all over the park...tackling back and chasing back and he was also very threatening going forward!
Sean Mac worked hard and he has got the 'Football League Fitness' level back into his system. He scored a bit of a lucky goal but neither he or myself are complaining! Sean is getting into the right positions to both make and score goals now! Shay was very busy again in support of Billy and provided us with some super linking play high up the pitch. He helped us to cope with a very efficient Bristol midfield who looked to energise their team going forward as soon as they got posession.
Seamus was like Doctor Who ......'The Master at the Controls', he had a super match too. The defence were pretty solid particularly against the free scoring Taylor who hardly got a look in! Matt Pearson and Joe Wright are building a good relationship and have provided the backbone for our team.
Bucko was brilliant, tackling mercilessly and always getting forward and showing a willingness to shoot on sight!
Brad Halliday was my other contender for Man of the Match just behind Pearson....he was like 'Billy Whizz' up and down the field, taking opponents on high up the pitch and also looking to get his name on the score sheet. Brad looks capable of playing at a much higher level than Division Two....Hopefully WITH US NEXT SEASON!
Sign him up please!
Ross did well in goal and made a couple of important saves when he needed to. He dealt with the pressure of coming in superbly and was justifiably 'Chuffed' to bits at the end of the match with the clean sheet.
Well done Stanley.
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote