View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 22:57   #50
Eric
God Member

Re: Getting rid of Tories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If that was the case Eric which as you say the Jap supreme ccouncil.
The first A boomb was dropped on Agust 6th 1945.
The Russians declared war on Aug 8th 1945.
Then there would have been no need for the 2nd bomb on Aug 15th, it doesn't take a week to wave a white flag.
And Manchuria is quite a few miles away, and how would they know how the Ruski's would fair in Manchuria.

Sounds like a bit of arse covering, and minutes of meetings can be written any time, and things added or left out,
I don't think they had tape recordings of meetings, nor is it easy to write japanese that quick whilst some ones spouting, did they have shorthand like we did.
I used to write munutes of union meetings, sometimes days later, from a few scribbled notes and memory. I know writing union meeting minutes is not as important, I'm using it as example of how written minutes are not always word for word.

August 15 is the date of the Japanese surrender ... the second and only remaining bomb in the US arsenal was dropped on Nagasaki on August 9. And the Russian invasion of Hokkaido would have been a snap. Most of the four million or so Japanese soldiers were deployed in the south to face the anticipated US invasion, which was scheduled for November. The Japanese were hanging on for a deal that would allow them to avoid unconditional surrender. The bombing campaign that brought Japan to its knees was primarily the daily strategic bombin using conventional ordnance. In purely military terms, the Manhattan Project was a inexcusable waste of money that could have been better used elsewhere.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote