Thread: New Bus Station
View Single Post
Old 13-02-2016, 10:39   #34
Gordon Booth
Senior Member+

Re: New Bus Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Don't they have particle filters built into them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Wasn't fully aware of that DinG, knew that there is something like the Cat Converter fitted to Diesels nowadays but not the details. Are the filters meant to reduce or even prevent the carcinogens being emitted?
They're called Diesel Particulate Filters(DPF).
All diesel cars have had them fitted since 2009. They filter out all the little black particles and hold them. You won't see a modern diesel blow a cloud of black smoke out as it accelerates hard. They don't take out the nitrous oxide which is the main worry now about diesels.
Trouble is the filter clogs up with the particles especially if you use it for a lot of short runs and it never gets really hot. Pressure sensors detect this and inject neat diesel into the engine or exhaust to burn and turn the particles to ash(but the ash stays in the DPF.
Three problems-
When the burn-off starts the miles per gallon drops heavily( down from 45 to 25 on mine). This can last for several miles, ruining your fuel economy.

If you get a warning light from the DPF and don't do a hot run it can wreck your engine. The first thing it will do is force your maximum speed down to about 50mph. If you're lucky you can limp into a dealers, they can burn it off but will also have to change your oil if it's an engine injection system-£150 to £200 cost.

Thirdly the DPF eventually becomes clogged with the ash and has to be replaced, cost for mine £1800, can be a lot more for Mercs etc. Life of a DPF should be above 60000 depending on your type of driving but that's not a lot for a modern diesel.

Moral- if you don't do a lot of long distance driving don't buy a diesel.

I think they're fitted to new buses but you don't see many new buses(unles your in London of course!)
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote