View Single Post
Old 14-08-2016, 11:24   #1
SteveB47
Junior Member+

Post Really Really Old Stuff - Any Help Appreciated

Hello to all

It's been a while since I was here. I've been busy writing two books.

I'm now researching a third book about my grandfather on my Dad's side. Both Dad and his father were called Frederick Bentley (my Dad was known as Fred to all and sundry). I know grandfather lived in Newark Street at one time (as late as the 1950s) next to the Antley pub, and close to my maternal grandmother (Cornwall).

I'm researching for a book about my grandfather's service in both World Wars in the Royal Navy. He was on the Prince of Wales when the Japs sunk it in 1941. I'm OK with the Navy bit apart from one thing.

So, I would love to know a few things:
  • His Navy records show his occupation on joining in 1919 as a carter. I know what that is, but anyone any idea what a typical carter would have done in Accy in that era? Like who were the big employers at the time other than the mills or could it have been at the railway station?
  • Does anyone know any local historical reason why a young lad from Accy would go all the way to Devonport to join the Navy? For example, was there a local recruiting drive?
  • Finally, I have discovered that a navy training establishment was started named Accrington. Anyone have any info on that?

Thanks for reading this and get in touch please if you have any info no matter how inconsequential you may think it is.