View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 13:08   #42
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Greater Accrington Heroes.

To name a few I couldn't get at, Wesley Chapel in Abbey St, Wesley Chapel in Union St, Oak St Congies, Woodnook Baptists, some of the more obscure religious houses in Avenue Parade & Whalley Rd.
One R-O-Hnr which has led me a dance is the Swedenborgs in Abbey St they have a R-O-Hr but reading it and the info, you would think the war would have been lost without them, luckly for me when I was on Ancestry I managed to download near 3000 sets of Servive Records and 1000's of Medal Cards, and they give a completely different picture. I also indexed all the 1918 Absent Voters lists, the powers that be would have us believe the soldiers themselves provided the information, what a laugh, there are 100's of errors, wrong servive numbers, wrong regiments, and even wrong addresses, I've also got 2 who died at the battle of the Somme in 1916, who filled in their forms, who filled in the forms for P.O.W's
jerry ?. Some of the worst tripe came from the Acc Gazette, sometimes 6 - 12 months late with casualty reports an then full of errors witb mens rank and number, luckily I was able to aquire most of the East Lancs Rolls when I worked at Fulwood, approx 32500 entries. All those errors in different sources is probably one of the reasons it took so long, checkin, checkin & more checking. Some of the other things I've had as well from people, My Grandad was a pal at the Somme, no such bloody thing, I'f all those had been Accrington Pals, the Pals could have savaged jerry to a standstill on there own.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-11-2016 at 13:18.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote