View Single Post
Old 28-11-2016, 13:56   #387
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Cheers for the info,my question is this,why are there so many bullets in the ground...IRA,modern day criminals or something less sinister?

I hear cordite,which is allegedly what is in some WW bullets, is illegal in any amount....does this mean I risk arrest if I hand them into the police?
Do you mean bullets or cartridges, bullets can be found all theover the Coppice and Moleside The used to be a range at Hapton which was closed as dangerous, ricochets went all over the place from there, Live ammo on the slopes near Moleside, yes it was a military area during the last war, as for cordite, that has been used in British small arms military ammo since 1892, as cordite 5/2 5/100 th's OD / 2/100 th's ID. Its tubular, cordite is a mixture of Nitro Glycerine & Guncotton with a 5% vaseline base added for lubrication. there are 37 sticks of it in a .303, it was also used in blanks but called ballistite, flaked cordite was also used in the Webly .38 & .455, cordite was also used in ships guns, large bags of it rammed in behind the shell. You can put cordite on the flags an thump it all day wit a hammer an nowt will happen, put a match to it and it burns like celluloid, you can even eat it, an nowt will happen other than your ticker races abit. Nitro is used for some heart problems

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-11-2016 at 13:59.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote