View Single Post
Old 28-11-2016, 17:17   #388
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
he thinks the top one is a dum/dum (Most definitely not it's a NATO 7.62 blank, which has been fired giving it the "Split look") The one down from that has a crimped front end which means it's probably a blank. (There we can agree, but the calibre is .303) The one down from that is just a shell casing - has been fired and looks like a .303 (or 7.62 NATO)(Have to correct you there, it's "Shouldered" & with just a quick glance at the above round it's clear they are different calibres, my assumption NATO 5.56) The one below that is a fired .22 Long Rifle casing (Finally in complete agreement with the last one)
Sorry to disagree with your Old Fella on the munitions thing Turtle, but after years in the Air Cadets & getting the chance to live fire Enfields .303 & 22. Conversions (1970's), then joining the Army, firing SLR's (also in .22 conversion mode), GPMG's, Browning 9mm, Smg's & finally the much maligned SA 80 through my time in the "Big Green drinking machine" (1980's-1990's) we certainly picked up some brass, sorted & weighed it over the years you tend to recognise various casings. And to keep my eye in, we often go walking over the old training areas with the hound & we're forever finding discarded casings.