View Single Post
Old 28-11-2016, 19:02   #389
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Very interesting I showed this photo to Himself (who hunted bear before he met me and was also in the militia here in Canada) and he thinks the top one is a dum/dum (whoever had it cut the bullet in half, not all the way through, so that when it hit, it would shatter and be devastating). The one down from that has a crimped front end which means it's probably a blank. The one down from that is just a shell casing - has been fired and looks like a .303 (or 7.62 NATO) The one below that is a fired .22 Long Rifle casing (he knows nothing about he coins but enjoyed seeing these
Sorry Turtle, but like D in G I'm going to have to correct you, there is no such thing as a DUM Dum bullet, the first .303 round that had a hollow point was the Mk III followed by the IV & V, they very soon became outlawed, and are now collectors items, I did have a MkIII at one time, Those bullets came about by a British officer seeing men in the front line in the wars in India rubbing the noses of MKII on rocks to expose the lead antimony core, they recckoned it stopped some of the fanatical tribesmen quicker some could take several rounds of 303 before they dropped, so the officer went back to his place of work to experiment, he worked at Dum Dum Arsenal in India. All that guff about Dum Dum bullets was popularised by hollywood, there were several bullets create around that myth, but if yu look in Cartridges of the World you will see them by their proper names. A MkIII fired at 100 yards into pig meat, would make an exit wound the size of 1/2 crown, if it hit bone on its way thro you could put your fist in the exit wound. ---- Many men got court martialed for damage to their rifles, because to much exposure of the core, and the bullet jacket got stuck in the bore, next round split the barrel and could kill the men next to him.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-11-2016 at 19:08.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote