View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 19:48   #410
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I hate the ruddy things,they get in the way of the better stuff,they give of the same signal as coins on my machine so I've got to dig them.

Do they tend to ricochet? I only ask because I've found some that look like they hit something (squashed).

The buttons were general service buttons and the bag seal is a,possibly German,"whites flour seal".usually the detail on these seals is poor but mine looks like one of the better examples.
Bullets can ricochet for miles, one of the worst ranges with that problem was at Hapton Scouts, for your info a rifle range for full bore rifles, with out a back stop nust have a free zone of 2 miles behind the farthest targetsso add 1200 yards to 2 miles an you will ve some wher near, cartridge cases could have been picked up by any one, literally 100's would be left lying around,especially just after the war and into the 1950's when literally 1000's n 1000's of rounds of surplus ammo had to be used up. Bottom of the Irish sea & North sea must be littered with 100's of tons of surplus ardnace after the end of WW2, sometimes up at Holcombe some of the officers of units om the range, would approx our club sec and sell him 1000's of rounds of .303 cheap, so they could pack up an leave. it all helped our clubs coffers, and there were 3 clubs using Holcombe at that time Manch, Bury, n Blegburn. I was a member of the Manch club as well, so I got to shoot with the on Saturdays, half a crown for 10+2 on two ranges, and that included being in the pot for the most x's at the end of the matches.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote