View Single Post
Old 20-03-2017, 18:24   #16
anonymouse

Re: ACCRINGTON's WAR MEMORIAL

I'm glad I found this post because I need to say something.

Me and my friends broke some of those stone things with all the names on, back around that time (2009 - 2011).
At the time we broke them and ran away, and I am sure this caused great offence to a lot of people.
However I need to say that it was not vandalism, we did not do it on purpose.

We used to meet there and lean on them sometimes, we were teenagers and maybe should have been a bit more respectful and not leaned on them but they were heavy stone and in our opinion unmovable - there was never an intention to cause damage.
We were leaning on them one afternoon and 2 or maybe 3 of them just fell away from the wall like dominoes. If I remember correctly at least one of them cracked right in half.

We knew right away we would never be believed if we said they just fell (we were a bunch of young troublemakers) so we ran off and left them lying there.

I know it was years ago now but it always stuck in my mind that people would have seen that and thought somebody purposefully broke them and most likely been seriously offended, when in fact it seems to have been poor maintenance.

I don't really know what else to say. I just hope if anybody was offended by it all those years ago that it puts something right to know that there was never any intention to disrespect the dead soldiers.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web