View Single Post
Old 20-03-2017, 21:44   #19
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: ACCRINGTON's WAR MEMORIAL

I through my daughter have been pestering the council for over 3 years to bring that war memorial up to date, the number of excuses are unbelievable, there is special funding available through the War Memorial Trust. Those panels contain several errors due to the lists provided by the Observer, 14 double entries, 19 names wrong or misspelled, 37 names missing, including 9 original Accrington Pals, and one man who did not die. One of the excuses put forward was finding matching stone, I've suggested turning the panels over, polishing them to match the original, then getting a stone mason with a pantograph to engrave the new list in a smaller font so all the names can be fitted on, and not just Smith J. but a man's full name
Smith James.
Smith John.
Smith Joseph.
And if there are two men Smith John, then their service numb could be inserted in a smaller font, I've done it on paper, and printed it out so there really is no excuse. If it ever gets done I would like to be alive to see it. If their not going to do I wish some one would have the guts to say so. ------------- I tried to post this earlier but every thing crashed, just hope its ok now.

Last edited by Retlaw; 20-03-2017 at 21:46.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote