View Single Post
Old 21-03-2017, 12:38   #21
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: ACCRINGTON's WAR MEMORIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
That is disgraceful Retlaw when funding is available. Good on your daughter for pestering the council. Hope she keeps it up. These lads deserve to be remembered properly and with pride not shoved on the back burner. I have two great uncles on the cenataph at Hapton so have known all about the sacrifices all my life but I remember clearly the moment it really hit home to me. I was walking through Slaidburn and stopped in front of the war memorial there. It is one with a soldier figure on top. I forget how many names were on it but it struck me it was a lot for such a small village. Then I thought about them leaving such a lovely place and travelling to France. In those days of the first World War it is likely that most had not even been to Preston never mind any where further and a certainty none had been abroad. It must have been like going to the moon for them. Some would be scared stiff before they even got to France. I have never forgotten that day. Our respect and gratitude should no no bounds for all those who have fought and lost their lives for our freedom.
Rowlf, your spot on with your observations, some of our lads round here had some help, there were a heck of a lot of old soldiers living in Greater Acc, they couldn't wait to put their old uniforms on again and get stuck into who ever challenged England, they became father figures to a lot of the younger ones, even the ones that were under age nobody split on them, those lads only fear was their parents claiming them back, many did suffer that fate, then when the next recruiting drive came, some would travel miles away to enlist, give a false name & address, their real name & age only discovered when they were in hospital wounded, a lot of them not even 17, them lads had guts by the bucketful, (not like today's 17 year olds roaming round in gangs intimidating their elders.)
I think the youngest Accy lad to be killed was 15 years of age. All I can say is Heroes one and all, may their names be revered and live on for ever.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote