Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2017, 15:26   #377
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Margaret. There are places for medals that are no longer wanted by relatives, who can no longer pass them down, Fulwood Museum has 1000's in display cases, all researched and diligently mounted with ladels, by a fellow volunteer at the Museum called Doug, when ever I turned up Doug would have been there for hours, Accrington Libray has a collection of medals and death pennies, when people give them to me they end up in the library. You'd be surprised at how many old folks who have told me, you take these, there is no one else interested, but what gets me, they have thanked me.
I did not know that there was such a collection...or that it was run by volunteers(but then I guess it would have to be someone dedicated to do such painstaking work).
I am pleased that there is such a facility as I do not think medals should ever be sold on for financial gain.
The boys who won these medals thought nothing of giving their lives or their health for the country.

I can understand why people thanked you Retlaw, they knew that you would make sure that the medals were treated with the respect that they deserved.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote