View Single Post
Old 20-04-2017, 11:20   #48
JCB

Re: General Election called

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am sure that you are not on your own JCB on understanding the complexity of the EU.

I trawled through lots of information before I voted, just to satisfy myself I was going to be doing what was right(with my conscience )
I haven't bought a national newspaper since the start of the 2010 General Election campaign .

I was weary of reading newspapers which were telling me how to vote .

I wanted a newspaper which gave me the facts and enabled me to make my own judgement , based on facts , about how I ought to vote . No such paper exists .

I am a stickler for accuracy . Hence one of the reasons why I like to read facts on the forum and do not necessarily rely on someone else's interpretation of the facts , accurate though they may be . I am not questioning anyone's veracity . It's simply the way I go about things .

About the EU referendum . I was "Yes" to staying in the EU . Then as I was bombarded by TV and radio each day with a plethora of "facts" , many of them contradictory , I became a "Don't Know" .

I was telling a friend that I had a postal vote at home , and that I hadn't a clue what to do with it .

He said , " Well look at it this way . Imagine we are not in the EU and that this referendum is to decide whether we join . How would you vote ? "

Everything seemed to suddenly fall into place , and I voted as I did in 1975 in the EEC referendum . I voted "No" .

Having voted "No" , I am unsure whether the Government is capable of reaching a good conclusion to any negotiations . I think that is one of the reasons Mrs May has called a general election , because she knows she needs a larger majority to get through some unsatisfactory decisions , decisions which her present parliamentary majority would not allow . I hope I am wrong .

Last edited by JCB; 20-04-2017 at 11:22. Reason: c
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote