View Single Post
Old 20-04-2017, 12:22   #50
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: General Election called

JCB, I read lots of different publications, many of them online...and yes there was a lot of conflicting information, but I did not rely on just that.
I searched out other forms of information, documents that outline the workings of the EU...much of it boring, wordy stuff. The kind of stuff that cures insomnia.
So it was difficult to make decisions.
For me, I felt that the people of the UK were bamboozled into thinking this would be purely a trading association, but it turned into something else without us ever being asked.
I hate feeling like I have been hoodwinked, had the wool pulled over my eyes.

As for Mrs May calling a general election. I believe she has done exactly the right thing.
It means that she can set her own agenda. It means that those who would undermine her efforts by reminding us that she was never elected, can be effectively silenced(that is, supposing she is re-elected).
She will probably make some changes to the political manifesto. I hope that she gets rd of the ludicrous foreign aid budget.
If we must participate in foreign aid, then let it be doled out as vouchers for goods and services that are provided by workers of this country...by companies based in this country.
I hope she will look at the tax loopholes that allow multinational companies to lawfully avoid paying what they should.
If companies like Starbucks and Amazon pay more into the coffers then there will be more money to help those who need the help...the old, the disabled and the sick.

From what I have seen so far of Theresa May, she seems to be a pretty rare bird, she seems to listen to the concerns of the electorate, she appears to have integrity, and it seems like she will take no crap from the less honest politicians in the Palace of Westminster. Especially those unelected parasites in the upper house who would thwart her attempts to follow the wishes of the electorate.

We do not know how things will pan out. We have to hope for the best, we have to work to make our way in the world.
We do not need to be threatened and intimidated by those in the EU who tell us we are a valued member...but want to punish us because we do not want to be part of their dysfunctional club.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote