View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 21:08   #3
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Howard and Bullough - Attleboro Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In 1978 I visited Lowell, near to Fall River and went to a former cotton weaving shed now a museum. It was fitted with what I knew were Lancashire looms, on the end of which was cast iron plates bearing the maker's name, which I think was Entwistle of Mass. I feel sure they would be made by Bullough's and cast with his name put on.
Many years ago, I came across a cutting from the Observer - it was a letter dated late 1800s written by an Accringtonian who had emigrated out to Mass and told of a gathering of Accy folk in New England - about 400 of them. Atarah Hindle may know where this cutting can be found - if not, then try John Simpson in the library - [email protected]
Aye Dobbo, you'd be surprised how many men in my files went to, or came from Fall River, a lot were weavers, but there were quite a few of Bullers Outfitters, and even more of them when Bullers opened shop in Septic Land. After the war those who had come back to blighty to serve in the forces, could have assisted pasage back home. Several of Bullers Outfitters were stuck in Russia when WW1 broke out, make you wonder how or who paid the wages of those Outfitters, there were even some working in Argentina, & Brazil.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote