View Single Post
Old 15-09-2017, 21:35   #37
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Mariners Match Tread

Weather wise it was a bad night for trying to play the type of good passing football that Stanley now have a reputation for producing. We seemed to try to build from the back as John and Jimmy prefer but when we got to the third or fourth pass it went astray with the elements, slippy pitch and wind, and Grimsby's closing down of our players. Give credit to Grimsby as they played well on the night and adapted to the elements better than us. We lost our shape somewhat when Billy had to go off at half time as we missed him both as a target man and for his 'holding the ball up' skills too. With the 'One on One' situations we only needed a bit of luck and we could have scored 3 or 4 goals!
It shows what fine lines there are in football between winning and losing. A little run of matches with the 'luck' with you or against you can define a season. So it is very important that Stanley get back on the winning trail ASAP.
Clarke had a great match and so did 'The Don'. I have said on earlier posts how highly I rate 'The Don'. He is fast both in attack and in defensive recovery situations. He is an amazing athlete! He is also very skilful and links up so well in building momentum through our passing football from the back. My current valuation on 'The Don' would be a minimum fee of £1,000,000. But of course I would rather he stayed a the Stanley!
Here is hoping that we get back on the winning trail on Saturday v Chesterfield!
ON STANLEY ON
WITH JOHN, JIMMY AND 'THE DON'!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote