View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10   #40
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: V Barnet Guess The Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
500 was a decent crowd then and we were only 2 divisions below where we are now 25 years ago.

It is hard to grow a hardcore from that level.

It is out of order slagging off an Local Authority administrative area for not sharing your hobby. Look at the Lancashire League, things change, and if Stanley invested on and off the pitch like Fleetwood did 11 years ago then the crowds would be higher now.

Moaners just help to make the club less attractive, and I suspect a lot had a hiatus during the bleak times, but now claim to be super fans.
You'd "suspect" wrong in my case. I was supporting the club in 1992 (and 1982 and 1972). And I don't claim to be a "superfan" - just someone with a realistic view of the apathy shown to Stanley by the public of the town/borough/"local authority administrative area" - call it what you want.

I'm still sure that our average gates were higher than 500, certainly in our recent pre-Conference times. I recall Coley complaining (or "moaning" as you'd put it) about our league gates and comparing it with a 1,000+ gate we had for a night match against Colwyn Bay - not an uncommon occurrence in those days.

As for Fleetwood getting investment on and off the pitch, that's exactly what we've been getting for the last season or two, thanks to AH, but it seems to have had limited effect on the gates - exactly my bone of contention.

As for your final excuse for the apathetic local public - "moaners just help to make the club less attractive." This is a forum - we're entitled to air our criticisms and concerns, or should we just post relentlessly upbeat messages, regardless of how we feel?