View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27   #61
monkey hanger
God Member

Re: V Barnet Guess The Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I think the "lost generations since 1962" argument is greatly exaggerated. Accrington in the 60's/70's/80's/90's was no different than any other non-league town - Crawley, Yeovil, Cheltenham, Wycombe, Fleetwood and many more. People in those towns went elsewhere to watch professional football. Yet since those towns have got into the league, the locals have responded by getting behind their local club in much greater numbers than ours. It's basically down to apathy.
looking at the clubs you have mentioned apart from cheltenham all have gained a promotion since entering the football league. yeovil and wycombe have always been a larger non league club and fleetwoods rise coincided with loads of money thrown at em plus the demise and infighting at blackpool. we basically lost most of the 2010/11 play off side and then stagnated for a few seasons. i imagine plenty of locals have tried stanley but don,t want to come back for one reason or another. if anyone knows someone like that it would be interesting to know why. all i know is that my son has been with me a few times and likes it at stanley saying its a proper club and a proper ground and would come regularly if he didn,t live so far away. we need to sell our club to a wider audiance and rid ourselves of that milk add image that we have.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web