View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 19:41   #66
Chimer
Senior Member+

Re: V Barnet Guess The Gate

Yes. To summarise, it was a brilliant night, the Ultras had provided flags for everybody (still got mine) and organised a tribute to Bobby Robson (who had just died) which was appreciated by a packed Coppice end full of Geordies. And a good game. Unfortunately some (deleted) set off a couple of flares at the back of the Clayton End and the (bar)stewards and then the police got involved at the end of the game . Jase, who was not a retiring character , also got involved, most probably trying to help some of the teenage Ultras who looked up to him as their leader (which he most definitely was) which resulted in him getting done for obstruction. And as dabeast says, many people (including me) thought the club could at least have provided some mitigation in court by acknowledging Jase's unofficial status as the organising genius and heart and soul of our support.

I was far too old to be an Ultra, and had only been to half a dozen games at that stage, but I was gobsmacked by what Jase and the Ultras used to do to support the club at that time. And it certainly hasn't been the same since that day .