View Single Post
Old 22-12-2017, 11:56   #1
kozie
Junior Member+

Hello I’m new.

Hi I found your forum on Google. I’m from Norfolk and unfortunately never been to Accrington.

The reason I am interested in Acrington is I recently found a box of old photos and postcards. I had 2 Great Uncles who like many were both killed in France WW1 in 1917. As it was the 100th Anniversary of Uncle George Brown on December 13th. I decided to look in the box and found photos of both brothers that I had never seen before.

I then decided to pull out the 200 odd postcards to see if anything was written on the back. I found about 10 from George. 2 from Frank. Plus a letter from George. I don’t want to bore anyone here. Cutting long story short, there was also sweetheart postcards about 5 from a Bertha. That’s all I have apart from two addresses that she had written on a couple.

30 Canal Street, Church

73 or 75 Catlow Hall Street, Oswaldtwhistle

I have looked at both addresses on the 1911 census and there is no Bertha there then. I realise it’s a while back now and that Bertha is probably no longer with us. I have no idea of her last name as no one had ever mentioned her. She has sent postcards with pictures from, drinking fountain, miller park, Preston. Ye towne pump Croston and another from Leyland. She talks about all the places. They are very moving and as we now know the fate of George, sad.

I would love of course to know who she was and does she have any living relatives?

I have heard of the Accrington Observer, that is it so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is interested int the postcards I have scanned them.

I’m not sure what tags are so not added any sorry.

Merry Christmas to all and Thank you
kozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web