View Single Post
Old 13-01-2018, 19:19   #22
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Cheltenham Thread

S'funny, but when I briefly lived in Glos I didn't realise it was a lucky place. But, for the second time this season, Mrs.Exile and I have gone there to watch Stanley play poorly, and yet come away with 3 points.
And what's even wierder is that none of the Stanley players had a bad game, it's just that, as a team, they rarely imposed themselves on what (IMHO) was a lively Cheltenham squad.
The difference was, in the first half, Stanley took their one chance, whilst the Robins' forwards would have racked up a lot more points if only they'd been playing rugby.
What the video of that goal didn't show was that Cheltenham's tallest defenders were suckered out of the danger zone by Hughes and Big Ben, leaving Billy free to nod in a pin-point corner from Captain McMarmite. If it was all a cunning plan, it was a well worked goal.
In the second, a fairly turgid match was enlivened by Jackson's willingness to chase and harry and to latch onto a pathetic attempt to head back to their keeper.
After that the only real football of the game broke out and it came almost exclusively from the home side. Stanley's defence did well to withstand the pressure, although they again needed luck on two occasions. The first to see the ball come back of the post and then, a moment later, back off the bar, and the second when Mr.Chapman misjudged a hanging ball on the edge of his area (his only mistake during the entire 90+ minutes) and Messrs Hughes and Donacien somehow managed to hook the ball out of the gaping open goal.
Good to see that, in Mr.Dunne, Stanley may at last have a natural left-back. Johnson played well before getting clogged but he seems wasted as right-back, and that is compounded by having to put Janoi on the left, where he seems much less assured than on his natural side of the pitch.
But, hey, three wins in a row, third place in the League, what's to complain about?
Well done, the men in white.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote