View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 09:45   #14
landhusweg

Re: Accrington Borough Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The town had its own police force until 1947, when it amalgamated with the county force. I am trying to ascertain if there are any men from the borough force still living. The last man to join the force , PC Chris Lamb, died some years ago, but there could be others, in their nineties now, still alive. I would specially like to know if Pc Tommy Davies is alive as I want to contact his son, Barry. They lived in Aitken St or Haywood Rd.

Tom was one of the two halbardiers who accompanied the mayor on civic occasions. Others were PCs Murdo McAuley, George Thompson, Jack Fletcher & Sgt Jim Warrington.
Hi Bob,
The McAuley family were very good friends of mine. I used to mate out with one of their sons Richard, who had a younger Brother Alec.

They lived at one time in the Woodnook area, I think Trawden Close, but not sure. In the late 50's they then moved to an apartment above the Bank on St Jame's Street just behind the Elite Snooker Club, sorry but can't remember the name of the bank.
George Thompson was a very funny guy, and one story I remember has stuck with me ever since.
I used to help Bill & Annie Keenleyside in the Blockade for some years, and after 10:30 Closing time when everybody had left and we were clearing up, A flash light would go on and off in one of the higher windows. Bill would then say open the door it's George Thompson, and sure enough it was him with a younger Constable. He would then order his beer, with the young constable saying "we shouldn't be doing this should we", George would then "it's ok son, all part of having good relations with the people of the town"!
Coming back to your question, I'm sure the two will have passed away years ago, or they will be around 110 years of age.
Cheers

Phil kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote