Thread: Lang Bridges
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 18:10   #6
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Lang Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
We are researching our family and on a census we have one of our people down as a worker at a tin plate works. I am pretty sure that Lang Bridges was a brass foundry but does anyone know if they worked tin plate too?
I served my apprentiship as a Pattern Maker Lang Bridges, from 1945 to 1952, Langs would make any thing for any body, it was said to me many times, serve your time at Langs and you can get a job any where in the World
Yes they did have a Tinner Shop, my grand father worked there at one time, many in the tinners knew me, and gave me the time of day.
Langs had many departments, starting on the right hand side at the main gate Tinsmiths, Paint Shop, Steel erecting Shop & Stores, Packing Dept, Joiners Shop, Pattern Makers, Brass Finishers & Flanging Shop, then part of Foundry Yard, on your way back to the front gates, Foundry Yard & Furnaces, Core Shop, Brass Moulding Shop, double bays, Iron Foundry & Plate Moulders, Turning Shop. Fitting Shop & Machineing Shop, Black Smiths. Iron & Steel Stores, Electricians, Garage for gaffers car, General Offices & Weigh Bridge, on the lower floor under the Joiners to Brass Finishers
the Tool Makers & the Works Canteen, also various cellars to store used patterns. During the last war Langs did a lot of Munitions Work. and in the middle of the main drag thro the works was a 20ft squ wooden hut, where the shell inspectors worked, we called it the bomb hut, it was just being wound down when I started, after that we stored used patterns on its roof.

Hope that settles your query,

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-03-2018 at 18:17.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote