View Single Post
Old 13-03-2018, 22:45   #229
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Retlaw believes [knows] that the Railway pub was originally called the Spread Eagle, a name later given to a pub a short distance from the Railway. He could well be right, but I have never seen [because you sken like a basket of welks] anything to support his theory. I have twice tried to get Thwaites to dig out the original deeds. If he is right, then the name Eagle St can be explained. I don't know any other reason why that street is so called. Possibly it is a veiled reference to the eagle on Lord Derby's arms. He was a mighty powerful man in early Victorian England.
Dobbo I hate you, when I research sumat I keep going till its no longer possible to go any further, and I did find proof, as for Thwaites and deeds, some of those old so called deeds back in the early 1800's were not like the deeds we know today, many were lost or destroyed and new ones made, many of which don't have original names on.
Several properties round where I live no longer have their original deeds, and the have no idea who the original owner or builder was or when they were built.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote