View Single Post
Old 18-04-2018, 06:39   #10
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Are you worried about the knowledge that Facebook has on you?

As to the council tax thing..My Mum fell into the trap of not ticking the box to keep her details safe.
She had no online presence, she did not know one end of a computer from another.
Because she was elderly she was targeted by all kinds of Charities....charities in which she had no interest.
Being soft hearted she gave small donations to a select few....this generated more requests for support.
I told her not to deal with them anymore, that I would do this.
I sent all the mail back to senders and requested that my mums name be removed from the commercial register at the council offices.
This was done and very gradually these charity requests dwindled.

I don't have a smartphone, I do have internet banking, and some bills get paid over the Internet. I do not order food, or book holidays on the net....I do have a Flickr account....and of course Accyweb...so yes, I have an internet presence.
I try to read terms and conditions, but sometimes I have to admit that I try to ask myself if I tick the 'disagree' box will it make life that bit more difficult....and find myself accepting them for an easier life.
It is something that, like it or not is inevitable and there was something in the media yesterday about the elderly who are not connected to the internet being penalised for this....they cannot access the same money saving offers.

The internet is a swamp filled with crocodiles....as long as you remember that and treat it with a modicum of suspicion tinged with caution, then you will be OK.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote