View Single Post
Old 30-04-2018, 20:00   #52
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: The vs Lincoln thread

Been a bit off colour the last few days, (not a celebratory hangover either!)
However, I did manage to get to the match and witness the historical moments when ..........
ACCRINGTON STANLEY won their first ever promotion IN THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE!

The celebrations after the match were just terrific especially when Jimmy Bell came over to the Clayton End and presented the trophy to us! What a wonderful gesture that was....Thanks Jimmy! The rapport between the players and supporters at Accrington Stanley is indeed very special.

The match itself was a dogged affair and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed with the tactics employed by Lincoln. I fully expected them to play with a 'direct' approach with long balls forward to the big lad Rhead up front but I have to say he was just a cheat and a big baby too! Rhead along with their other forwards Palmer and Green pushed into the back of our players constantly and the ineffective referee never got a hold on them, in spite of numerous justifiable protestations from our captain Coneely. Sean Mac had a few goes at the referee too and got a yellow card for his trouble.
I just cannot understand how the referee and his assistant did not see the act of thuggery committed on Aaron Chapman. Rhead should have been given a straight red card for his punch on Chapmans head! Even my seven year old Grandson saw it and he was quite incensed! I remember being very frustrated by the pushing tactics of Swindon a few weeks ago but these three and Bostwick too probably did more pushing than all of Swindon's players put together. Their style of play was reminiscent of Wimbledon's tactics when 'Da Beast' played for them. Not a style of play that I would want to watch weekly!

To their credit Stanley tried to play our passing slick game but also competed physically and matched the vigour of the rugged Lincolnites.
The details of the match have generally passed me by what with not feeling too well but I can, and always will, remember the wonderful scenes of celebration.

I was particularly pleased that our fans didn't invade the pitch so that we got a BRILLIANT LAP OF HONOUR.
As far as Lincoln are concerned I firmly believe that their fans came out of the day with all the credit and not their players! Their fans applauded our lads superbly which was wonderful to see.

WHAT A MOMENTOUS SEASON IT HAS BEEN FOR OUR WONDERFUL LITTLE CLUB.

WE HAVE ALSO BROKEN THROUGH THE 1,000 BARRIER FOR SEASON TICKET SALES WHICH IS AMAZING!

JOHN AND JIMMY HAVE BEEN BRILLIANT AS HAVE ALL OF OUR PLAYERS!

ANDY HOLT IS NOW A LEGEND!

THE SUPPORT HAS BEEN AMAZING ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO HAVE TRAVELLED TO ALL OR MOST OF THE AWAY MATCHES.
I THINK WE HAD ONLY 28 AT ONE MATCH EARLIER IN THE SEASON...EVERY ONE A HERO!

IT WAS GREAT TO SEE THE BIG FLAGS COME OUT AS THE SEASON BUILT TO ITS CLIMAX. I HOPE THE YOUNG LADS AND LASSES CAN PUT ON A REALLY GOOD SHOW NEXT SEASON TOO AND THAT WE CAN SHOW SOME OF THESE BIGGER CLUBS JUST WHO ACCRINGTON STANLEY ARE.....

ACCRINGTON STANLEY....WHO ARE THEY?

They are.....EFL LEAGUE TWO CHAMPIONS 2017/2018

Last edited by choirboy; 30-04-2018 at 20:04.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote