Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2018, 17:01   #254
Mark2009

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Pearl St and Newark St run alongside each other. I have long thought that there may have been a Pearl in the Peel or the Steiner family, but I cannot find one. On the 1891 census, when these two streets first appeared, there were only 54 ladies called Pearl in England - none locally. I am enquiring with Newark Library to see if they know of any connection between the town and these two Accrington industrialists, and if a they can come up with a Pearl who might be connected. In Pearl St at that time was Pearl House, a finer house than the rest of the street. It was occupied by Henry Anderton, a steam engine and boiler maker, who in 1861 was living in Boiler House Works, Lower Antley St This might have been the same house as Pearl House, -- certainly it was nearby. Maybe the house was built on his works. More research needed.
Been reading through old threads on a quiet afternoon. As Persia street etc related to countries that Steiners traded with, Newark street may refer to Newark in New Jersey. The city grew very quickly in the 19 century as manufacturing developed and there was a textile industry in the city at that time.
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote