View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 17:39   #20
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Gillingham (H) match thread

It was a very frustrating match for the Stanley players and supporters today.
Callum pulled out of a tackle 40 yards out and their lad then waltzed past a couple more defenders before setting up his team mate to score the opener.
I am sure that Callum will have learnt a lesson there today. Having said that, if Callum had gone in to that tackle hard and got the opposing tackle that occurred in the second half, (which should have earned a
RED CARD), then Callum could be in hospital tonight with a broken leg!
With the loss of Janoi and Jimmy Dunne our defence looked quite unbalanced and unsure of themselves. We also failed to dictate any real spells of play in midfield.
Billy worked hard as usual with very little help from the referee once again. I thought that the ref got worse as the match proceeded. He allowed The Gills to get away with too many little pushes and failed to show the Red Card when it was needed! The Gills players used their experience and took advantage of the lenient refereeing when they eventually came under some pressure in the last twenty minutes. We should have a had a penalty late on which would have given us a consolation only.
We just weren't good enough today but I am certain that the lads will only get better when the season settles down after the transfer and loan windows close. Also the 'new defence' will learn to play better together as they get matches under their belts.
I really wish that we could get Jimmy Dunne back for another season.
Finally, I thought that Sam Finlay looked quite good when he came on in midfield.
KEEP THE FAITH
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote