View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 09:45   #54
accyfan21
Junior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Gillingham (H) match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Maxted - thought he was poor today for their goals, did make some decent but expected saves
Johnson - poor game, offered little going forward
Sykes - out of his depth today
Hughes - was poor in patches but more concerning he didn’t lead as much as I would expect him to with a first time starter along side him
Richards Everton - MOTM, tried , did his all in the left back position
Clark - very poor game by his standards, didn’t beat his man often enough, final ball was not good enough, went missing first half
Connelly - poor first half, grew into the game
Brown - very poor first half, never really won his midfield battles
McConville - like Clark had no impact in first half, physically seemed a yard slower than the rest
Kee - some good hold up play but didn’t have a real chance all game
Jackson - very movie and put the effort in but didn’t have a real chance all game

Subs

Finley - thought he was poor and didn’t inspire any confidence based on that performance
Zanzala - didn’t get a single chance , difficult to impact the game with less than 10 mins to go
No 3rd substitute - poor from Coleman

Overall , poor tactical set up and performance.
Worth mentioning Charles Cook and Hanlan out wide for Gillingham, they have got 2 good players there
Zakuani an absolute rock at the back for Gillingham

I think it's unfair to say Sykes was out of his depth on Saturday as everyone else looked exactly the same. The entire team did not start well and Gillingham overloaded us in the midfield. Sykes did what he had to do as a defender, and it was an average display overall from all of the defence. Same with Johnson, he was average and I'm sure he'll learn from his mistake as he looks more mature now and looked good in pre-season matches.
Ben was a worthy MOTM in my eyes and played well in his position.
The defence didn't play so bad as a back four, the goals came from 2 individual errors does anyone else not agree?
I think they now know what pace to expect next week at Bristol and will be up for the game right from the first whistle. Up the Stanley and bring on Sat!!
accyfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote