View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 10:19   #55
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Gillingham (H) match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
The bottom line for me is very simple.
We’ve lost Chapman Dunne and Donacien from our starting line up.
We’ve stepped up a league with a weaker side.
That will be joined by Kayden this week .... why on earth we played the lad I do not know.
Lord only knows what will happen if we suffer injuries / suspensions.
The next four days are critical.
I agree Twenty Eight. You have hit the nail on the head here......
Maxted is probably a bit more predictably consistent than Chapman but Chapman's longer reach could well have effected a save for the second goal on Saturday. Losing the best two defenders from last season in Dunne and Donacien hasn't just meant losing 50% of our defensive quality but more likely we have lost 60%. Replace that 60% with only say 40% and now I would suggest that our defence is only 80% of the capability of last seasons back four. Add to this that we are playing another league higher and it clearly shows an increased weakness.
I do believe that young Sykes will get better and I would personally prefer to see Big Ben along side him at centre-back even though he was possibly our best player on Saturday at left back. His height and pace is need in the middle against bigger, fitter, stronger and faster forwards! Will Wood, like Sykes should improve and could be the answer to the left back issue and I would give him a run of matches to give him experience at this level.
I think that the step up a division is also showing our physical limitations in centre-midfield. There is an old saying..."A good Big Un will always beat a good Little Un!"....... We need somebody in there with much more of a physical presence but also with mobility and creativity.
Up front if we do lose Kayden, which is very likely I suppose, then Zanzala could be a good replacement for him. Like Sykes and Wood he is still young and raw but with a good run of matches and with a show of confidence from the management I do believe that he too will improve.
We have only lost one match and all is not quite doom and gloom yet....
Every summer Coley and Jimmy have had to rebuild their squad and team. A bit less so this summer but like Dav 007 always says, I think we need to give it 10 matches to settle down.

ON STANLEY ON
KEEP THE FAITH

Last edited by choirboy; 06-08-2018 at 10:26.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote