View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 21:06   #12
Lord Stiffupperlip

Re: vs Bristol Rovers thread.

Into each life a little rain must fall.
Perhaps today's stalemate was only to be expected.
Rovers arrived unbeaten in 4 to face a hastily restructured Stanley.
Our distribution in the first half was woeful, with some almost suicidal blunder passes - 2 by Sykes direct to their forwards.
The Gas had the better of a frustrating 45 minutes, with some fast slick passing.
Stanley improved second half to create some good chances, but Rovers still proved dangerous on the break.
I thought both Gibson & Armstrong slotted in well & barely put a foot wrong.
Armstrong in particular made himself a real nuisance up front & I can see him forming an exciting partnership with Kee.
Two aspects of our game continue to baffle & frustrate;
1. Our inability to create anything from set-pieces, especially corners. I'm beginning to think if Stanley hit corners for 90 minutes, they'd fail to score one.
2. The obvious instruction for the whole team to retreat faster than the speed of light into our own half as soon as any attack breaks down, leaving the opposition unmolested to build attacks from their own half.
By contrast, the Gas harassed Maxted every time he got his hands on the ball to prevent him from building a quick counter attack .
Got to agree that some of the blatant fouls that went unpunished by the ref reached teeth gnashing proportions.
Predicted a hard fought draw & so it proved - happy with a point.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote