Thread: Barnsley thread
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 12:02   #25
StanleyJosh
Full Member+

Re: Barnsley thread

Thought I'd give it a few days before posting to see if I agreed with what others thought.
The difference between the two teams was clear - Barnsley weren't at their best but I honestly thought even without the sloppy 2 goals we gave them they would have ramped it up anyway and won.
In the nicest way of saying it, they looked like footballers - we did not.
Quick, strong and direct - no wonder they are one of the favorites to go up.

Sam Finley was by a country mile the stand out player for us. Battled well in the midfield - tracked back well but was always keen to receive the ball and move it forward. If only others in that role were taking note!

Not a huge fan of Maxted but he wasn't helped at all by some comical defending. Felt his shot stopping in general was good and we should probably thank him for keeping it at only 2-0. He just lacks stature and being a commanding figure in the box. Too many times he's been caught out by crosses or 1 on 1's.

Will Wood could hardly get in Havant & Waterloovilles team so how he started for us at left wing back for us I am baffled. I've been vocal before in slating Big Ben and whilst he isn't the best at left back....I would of started him instead, at least he has game time. In fact, I'd of even played Danny Williams ahead of Will Wood.
I understand Liam Gibson was taken ill and was Coley's initial plan to start - I do wonder if his fitness played a huge part in us only loaning him in when Newcastle where prepared to allow us him on a permanent for free.

Harvey showed glimpses of his old self - I actually quite liked him playing more central although I did get a little excited in the second half when he went on a mazy run down the right hand side and crossed , just like old times 'ey!!

Clicker and Sean were average, both worked hard but, as with alot of games this season, tried to over do it rather than playing the simple ball - I don't think this new formation suits them at all . Was surprised Clicker was subbed however, thought his pace would have been a better attribute to keep on over Sean's experience.

Surprised how deep Armstrong was dropping to receive the ball - especially as the lone striker. 50-50 if that was poor positional play from him - or just poor from the midfield not doing their jobs.

Smyth and Kee both guilty for missing golden opportunities. Smyth was unlucky not to hit the target although perhaps playing it square for a tap in was a better opportunity. Clear to me that Billy didn't realise how much time he had when he thundered one wide after somehow beating both the defenders and offside trap - it went in slow motion to everyone in the ground apart from Billy who rushed his shot.

Zanzala made little contribution, he seems intent on playing his game using his strength, but seems to have little of it judging by the number of times he was barged off the ball. I would love him to do well and can understand his frustration not playing as much as he would like, but he really needs to make more of an impact to force his way back in to the team.

Tuesday and Saturday now massive - hopefully by 4.45pm Saturday afternoon we'll have 6 points, be enjoying winners hour and every little thing will be alright
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote