View Single Post
Old 30-03-2019, 20:19   #16
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: the vs Fleetwood match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Something smells fishy - have Stanley had their chips?
We can bemoan missed chances, unfair decisions by officials & well rehearsed gamesmanship by our opponents till the boat comes in.
The fact is that, based on today's performance, we're sinking faster than the Titanic.
This was the day we were going to win & sail up the league. Instead, Fleetwood came with a game plan & we were done up like a kipper.
Devoid of any creativity from a static midfield, we seemed unable to make any impact until, too late in the day, we finally made some substitutions.
Barlaser improved the midfield & little Sousa injected some pep down the wing. If only this had been done at half-time, the result may have been different.
Alas, it proved too little too late.
Against a well drilled League 1 outfit, our deficiencies stood out like sore thumb. Too many of our squad are just not up to the job at this higher level.
For once, our defence were not the main culprits. IMO both Sykes & Rodgers played well, although Donacien had a nightmare game.
We just can't buy a goal at the moment, due largely to our players inability to find any space beyond the half-way line, unlike opponents, who always seem to find acres.
Oh how we missed Jordan Clark.
Unless we start scoring goals, I fear that Davy Jones' Locker awaits.
PS. If you can think of any more fishy puns, let minnow!
Well I am really having to 'Dredge the Depths' a bit tonight Lord S in response to your observations!
The Wham Stadium today was certainly no 'Plaice' for cultured football today from either the 'Fisherman of Fleetwood' or the 'Flounders from Accrington'. I listened to Jo(k)ey Barton's interview on Radio Lancs on my way home and he showed just how much a 'Fish out of Water' he really is by his self contradictions! More like 'A man overboard' in all honesty!
The Stanley 'Crew' selected today was so unbalanced as if 'The Nets had been Cast only over one side of Eric Cantona's Trawler'. It was only after Dimitar 'Fished'' the ball out of our 'Net' after the 'Fishermen' scored that we seemed to 'Cast our Lines Forward' but only somewhat briefly as the 'Tide' definitely seemed to be against us what with the 'Fishermens' 'Dogfishy' tactics and the Referee being 'All at Sea'. Yet another Ref who 'Sealed' a poor performance by only adding on 4 minutes of added time when he could have thrown Stanley a 'Lifeline' by adding on a bit more!
Most of the Stanley players played like they were 'Seasick', leaning over the 'Ships Side' intent on hitting the 'The Sea' with their vomit (Gromit).......(Couldn't help myself there!)
'Coley' needs to get our boys to 'Sail' through these 'Current Stormy Waters' without letting us 'Sink' too far. Some of our boys seemed to play with a lack of 'Sole' today. Although it seems to be a 'Titanic' task ahead, I am confident that when 'Coley' and 'The 'Bell' 'Trawl' through the match video with the 'Captain' Seamus and the players that they will soon have the 'Stanley Crew' 'Surfing back up the League'!

Actually, in truth tonight I feel a bit 'Washed Up' like a 'Beached Whale' tonight.

Last edited by choirboy; 30-03-2019 at 20:24.
Accrington Web