View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 10:19   #48
Lord Stiffupperlip

Re: Rochdale home thread

It's an accepted fact that over a game lasting 90 minutes, the best team usually wins.
Perhaps last night was the exception that proved the rule but, deserved or not, we were beaten by a team tipped for relegation.
In any event, resorting to 'lady luck' deserting you as an excuse for defeat is a lame excuse.
Multiply those 90 minutes over a 45+ game season & you end up where you deserve to be. Time for a reality check.
Had we been able to keep our League 2 Champions team intact, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
As it is, we lost too many of the gems we polished last season & with them, the winning momentum that team possessed.
The mixed bag of replacements, mainly loanees & free agents have proved largely ineffective at League 1 level.
Likewise the general standard of coaching & organisation of teams in L1 is at another level compared to L2.
When I questioned our right to be in L1 after our defeat by Rochdale last night, it was with a heavy heart because, like everyone on here, I love Stanley.
However, I can only say this. The present team would be lucky to reach mid-table obscurity in L2 based on current form.
I hope & pray we can survive this season.
If we do, lets hope the board & management wake up to some hard realities about what's needed to survive at this level
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote