View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 12:35   #49
Crown Grounder

Re: Rochdale home thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
It's an accepted fact that over a game lasting 90 minutes, the best team usually wins.
Perhaps last night was the exception that proved the rule but, deserved or not, we were beaten by a team tipped for relegation.
In any event, resorting to 'lady luck' deserting you as an excuse for defeat is a lame excuse.
Multiply those 90 minutes over a 45+ game season & you end up where you deserve to be. Time for a reality check.
Had we been able to keep our League 2 Champions team intact, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
As it is, we lost too many of the gems we polished last season & with them, the winning momentum that team possessed.
The mixed bag of replacements, mainly loanees & free agents have proved largely ineffective at League 1 level.
Likewise the general standard of coaching & organisation of teams in L1 is at another level compared to L2.
When I questioned our right to be in L1 after our defeat by Rochdale last night, it was with a heavy heart because, like everyone on here, I love Stanley.
However, I can only say this. The present team would be lucky to reach mid-table obscurity in L2 based on current form.
I hope & pray we can survive this season.
If we do, lets hope the board & management wake up to some hard realities about what's needed to survive at this level
I can't disagree with your summing up of the season, although it doesn't explain why we did so well in getting points prior to Christmas?

As for your last comment about the board and management, as Andy has said on numerous occasions since buying the club. He has no intention of using the family silver to bolster the playing budget. He see's his roll as owner of Accrington as creating a sustainable community club with reasonable fan facilities. Therefore, whether we can survive in League 1 is not something that he see's as important, only that we survive as a club. If you expect an injection of cash and the arrival of better players next season you will I am afraid to say be disappointed......
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote