View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 07:38   #66
yonmon
Senior Member+

Re: Rochdale home thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
irrespective of what league we start next season in, we HAVE made significant progress recently.

We started last season as an average League 2 side at best. Yes, some thought we had a chance as we had our best side for a while. But that best side for a while was still only average at best. Then something happened. The feelgood factor at a club on the up drove us to the top of the League. Regardless of winning the league we were still the lowest payers in the league, playing in front of the smallest crowds, on the smallest ground. We had an owner that spoke of grand, but reasonable plans, to turn us into an efficient club.

Nearly 12 months on from that title win, we have broken our attendance record three times, broken our record transfer sale twice, broken our season ticket records, reached our furthest (joint) ever point in the FA Cup, built a new stand, an extra fan zone, another fan zone on the way, plans afoot for an entirely new main stand side (still same stand but concourse, changing rooms and bar/shop/offices), have a new office and shop block imminently opening. All this whilst still being almost the lowest payers in the EFL, playing in front of almost the lowest crowds, on still the smallest ground.

If we start in League 2 next year as an average side then we are still better off than the beginning of last season. Can we retain some of the newer fans? I like to think so. Remember back last season we still thought of ourselves as having a hardcore of 1000. At the moment we have over 1000 ST holders/loyalty cards. We have a price freeze (again) on STs, and we are playing in the same red shirt (again).

I couldn't give a toss for those fans who want to disappear back up their backsides if we go down. I couldnt give a toss for those fans who think we need to spend money on players. It's not the Stanley way and we'll carry on making incremental progress year on year, just like we have for the previous 50 years without you.

ta-da
Nail hit squarely on the head Mecca !..😎
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote