View Single Post
Old 28-04-2019, 23:43   #13784
Ryewolf90
Full Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ryewolf the detail on the bee is amazing...you must have a very steady hand....and be very brave.
I would only attempt a shot so close if the bee was dead...or snoring!.
I am a hero really, but they gave me cowards legs

Thanks Margaret, most bees don't sting, and these Nomad Bees, also known as Cuckoo Bees because they lay eggs in the nests of other bees, don't possess stingers.

Even wasps won't sting unless they feel threatened - obviously flailing your arms around like a windmill whenever they come near doesn't help, but they seem to know when you aren't afraid of them. I get wasps landing on me all the time when I'm out photographing bugs. They are attracted by smells and scents, which is how they find their way about or look for food, they'll look around and if you keep fairly still they shouldn't bother you.

This shot of the bee was taken around 6pm and as it wasn't very warm they do tend to slow down a bit when it gets colder.

The detail is down to the equipment used, I have a macro lens (ie one used specifically for close ups), plus I use an extension tube - which allows me to get even closer to my subject, it also magnifies everything. This bee was about 12mm long, plus I have a ring flash which means the time it tales to photograph them is ridiculously short, however it does mean I have to get really close. I think on this shot my face was about 6 inches away, my camera lens was probably around 2 inches away.