Thread: Pre-season
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2019, 22:21   #33
Chimer
Senior Member+

Re: Pre-season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
There's a big difference between Stanley & Salford.
Salford belongs to several wealthy people. Stanley, as Mr Holt has said - 'belongs to our fans'
Philosophically maybe, for now, but not in reality. It currently belongs to Andy Holt, who, bless him, runs it and largely funds it so we have a club to support which we feel we own and runs the way we (most of us including me) like it. But if catastrophe strikes and Andy can't keep going for whatever reason, either someone new steps in, buys it, and runs it any way they like, or they don't, and Accrington Phoenix start again at the bottom of the pyramid with our 11 fittest fans on the pitch - 'cos our collective fan base couldn't afford to pay the current electricity bill, let alone any players' wages.

I have watched Stanley in the third tier before this last season, but I didn't expect I'd ever do it again when I watched our first game at the Crown in 1970. This past season was dreamland (especially the first 3 months) but I certainly don't want us to soar higher on the wings of an oligarch, and then get dropped like a stone into bankruptcy when he gets bored. And if living within our means leads to relegation without bankruptcy, I can live with that. But if someone with local connections wants to bung some money into the pot unconditionally, bring it on.