Thread: Bletchley park
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2019, 19:00   #12
Valleyprint

Re: Bletchley park

Hello, I read your interesting post.
Leo Hughes was also my Uncle, my father's name; Oswald Gerard Hughes died at young age of 33, at the same week that I was born September 1947.
My brother Glenn (he died 1993) and myself would visit Uncle Leo once a year, usually just after New Year.
Monk Street seamed to us a happy time, finishing off the evening's celebrations with Uncle Leo's home-made cakes. He was well-informed with the latest gadgets available, a stamp collector, and very literate in all matters, but also a fastidious time keeper, I remember I delayed my brother on one occasion by 15 minutes, to which Uncle Leo commented; ''did you know you were coming this evening''. I replied ''yes'' ''Then you have no excuse for your delay'' came his reply.
From then on we would always arrive at Monk Street precisely on time, in fact, my brother would go further to the point, of waiting for 30 seconds or so, by the front door, look at his wrist watch, and ring the bell at the precise moment at 7:00pm.
Time is the essence, it certainly was. An evening with Uncle Leo was always a treat.
Best wishes. Your cousin Darrell
PS. could you please reply, I'm not this system is working correctly.
Valleyprint is offline   Reply With Quote