Thread: Rip
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2019, 13:49   #11
The Red Darreners

Re: Rip

Oh Lord, I really wasn't expecting to see this when I logged in today. This is terrible news. Deeply, deeply saddened. I knew Chris's general health wasn't great and that he was in and out of hospital after his accident, but I really wasn't expecting this. It's knocked me sideways.

Ali and I have had the privilege of sitting next to Chris at the Crown for the last six years.

We're blessed to sit with some delightful people - the warmth, humour, friendship and love provided by all really do make it seem like a family, and make the whole Stanley experience unique and unmissable.

Chris was a warm, funny, kind man, as passionate about his politics as his football. An array of politicians, local and national, will have endured fearful (and probably deserved) ear-bashings from Chris either in person or via Twitter; his Labour soul was part of his essence.

I loved arguing with him (although we were usually on the same side); his commentary on the football that unfolded week by week was often accurate, usually wry and amusing and invariably of the 'glass half-empty' variety. I will be forever in his debt for introducing me to the writings of Harry Leslie Smith.

But I'm finding it very hard to imagine turning up at the Bury game and him not being there - I'll miss the warm handshakes, hugs and his sense of fun, a fellow-traveller with whom it was good to put the world to rights.

Deepest sympathy and love to the whole R... clan - and as much strength as you all need .

And farewell Chris my old pal - it was a joy to share your time.

Richard and Ali xx
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote