View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 11:22   #10
Gremlin
Senior Member+

Re: D.Sandiford Haulage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonw View Post
Nice to see this old picture Gremlin. I hadn't heard of Gilmartin always knew them as Gilbraiths, when did the name change happen? I suppose Southern Ireland could be classed as abroad. Are Gilbraiths still operating now?
A man called Thomas Gilmartin had a few tippers working around Accrington on hire to the NCB. Gilbraith bought him out for the A licence and had to keep the name until the O operators licence came out in 1970. A chap called Robert Martin also had a couple of tippers and Gilbraith took him over for the A licence and made him MD of the Gilmartin firm.. Then when the A licence changed to O licence and old Gilmartin lorries were replaced they had Gilbraith name on them.
Gilbraith sold out to Pollock about six years ago but retained the large depot and railhead they had at Blackburn and leased it to Pollock... Pollock decided to pull out six months ago and sold to Kenyon of Blackburn... They coudnt handle all the work and cutomers were ringing Henry Gilbraith to see if he could help. Henry already had the depot so he bought four lorries to start with and started a new business called Gilbraith Logistics. So the name lives on.
Gilbraith Tankers where I worked for 30 years was a seperate company and they sold out to Hargreaves about 11 years ago.. The depot they had at the bottom of Read street was sold to AAA recovery. Hope all that makes sense.