View Single Post
Old 22-08-2019, 17:02   #4
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Where are all the people

Mark, I think the time for rejuvenating Accrington is long gone.
The town has been allowed to slide down the slippery slope of previously individual Industrial towns.
Some of the blame can be laid at the door of successive councils in their apathetic(or maybe that should be pathetic) attempts at turning around the rot.
The latest one was the chopping down of two beautiful mature chestnut trees in order to make a town square(these were said to be diseased, but looked healthy enough)...and one which cost the taxpayers of this borugh 1.5 million quid...not that the square cost that..it cost 3 million, but the rest was coughed up by the Heritage Trust Fund.

It is a wasteland of paving stones punctuated by a few Duckboard seats...said to represent the towns First World war heritage( the cynical old baggage in me thinks it was designated thus so that we, the people of the town would feel bad if we said anything against it).

Moving the Bus Station has been the death to the market...but it still says on the planters 'Floral Market Town'

Today was probably busier than other days if you went round the market..it seems the flea market attracts more folk than the real market...that might have something to do with the number and variety of stalls.

So tell me why can't the council put two and two together and make four...if variety and number of stalls equals a better footfall then why can't measures be put in place that would ensure market days were the same? A good footfall to the market usually will benefit other retailers too.
You tell me...because I don't know.

Some of the blame has to go to the folk who go out of town to shop to the retail parks..but even they are having a toughish time of it...or shop on the internet for convenience...but other towns manage to have a vibrant centre....markets that are well patronised(bury for instance)...close proxomity to Manchester should be a drawback, but it clearly isn't.

The Arndale is one of the most depressing places to visit(I usually hurry through it...there is little to make me stop and look around
The swish new bus station doesn't bring people in...it takes them away from what is a dire place to visit.

Accrington has absolutely nothing noteworthy to bring people into town.
I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 22-08-2019 at 17:08.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote