View Single Post
Old 23-08-2019, 01:34   #8
MoreJoe

Re: Where are all the people

Some years ago I returned to Accrington for a family funeral. I was shocked but not surprised at the dilapidated state of the retail shops in this once thriving market town.
The root cause was bloody obvious in that all the arteries into the town had been cut, constricted, redirected or generally screwed up. A town that could once be approached from all points of the compass had been cut off. Now you could only sneak up into it by circuitous route then wander around to find the least convenient parking space to access the place you really wanted to visit.
I hate to say it but you could see it coming. I put pen to paper and wrote to the Observer to give them my forecast of the dim future along with a "Cunning Plan" to restore the town arteries and invigorate the retail operations. I know what works and have seen successful implementations on five continents. It all hinges on accessibility and traffic. People who shop for essentials will spend considerable amounts on non essentials if they are marketed in the correct manner and are part of a vibrant pleasant shopping experience.
Sadly that no longer sounds like Accrington either now or ever again.
What a waste.
-Joe
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote