View Single Post
Old 13-10-2019, 01:39   #13
SteveB47
Junior Member+

Re: Really Really Old Stuff - Any Help Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You are welcome Steve.
I will most certainly pass on your appreciation.....and as you can see from my post count, I am a very regular visitor to the site...daily visits are my habit.
If I find out anything else I will post it.
Hello Margaret. I was prompted into updating you owing to a recent reply to my query. Since your last update John Simpson of Accrington Library has been most helpful particularly in regards to the Accrington Outpost - the Royal Navy recruiting office.

He even went as far as sending me a microfiche page from the records in 1915 showing my grandfather's date of signing up along with the names of others. I attach them to this reply. You may have to magnify them to read them.

My grandfather's entry is third from the bottom. The photos show the left and right hand side of the entries. Most are "approved" but check out the couple that aren't. One show 'Spine curvature- and another 'Absconded en route.'

These new recruits were given a travel warrant and then they made their own way to usually wither Plymouth for Devonport, or Portsmouth. Clearly, one of these potential boy sailors changed his mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Bentley 1 Navy Recruiting.jpg (331.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Bentley 1 005 Navy Recruiting.jpg (352.1 KB, 10 views)