Thread: church
View Single Post
Old 27-10-2019, 14:01   #79
Craig B
Junior Member+

Re: church

My grandma and grandad lived at 60 York Street and I used to spend all my school holidays there in the 1970 and early 1980's. I used to play football on the street, no doubt annoying everyone who lived close by. There was a school across the road which has now been demolished. I remember the summers were so hot the tar between the cobbles on the 'backs' used to go soft. I would go down to the canal and play near the swing bridge, and also the church before the gravestones became unsafe. A lot of my mum's ancestors were buried there. My grandma and grandad were called Cavannagh, and we had relatives in Church called Embley on my grandmas side. I remember the butchers on York Street and a weird little paper shop with piles of papers and magazines piled up and an old white haired lady who sat behind the counter. I remember the smell of The 'Bone Works' as my grandma called it wafting over the canal in summer. They had a coal fire in every room in the early 70's and I would sit in front of the fire with my grandad Bill toasting crumpets with long toasting forks. He used to make shadow animals on the walls with his hands. The memories.....

Last edited by Craig B; 27-10-2019 at 14:03.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote