View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 09:33   #3418
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Interesting view of Corbyn from a young metropolitan.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/1...rty-candidate/

Particularly agreed with this:
And then the EU referendum happened. Saddened though I was by Corbyn’s backing of Remain, and by the overwhelming (but unsurprising) support the party gave to that cause, I was initially able to reconcile my Leave vote with my party allegiance. After all, Labour’s 2017 manifesto promised that Brexit would be carried out. Perhaps foolishly, I believed this pledge, buying Corbyn’s pitch to be a man of principle, bringing honesty into politics.

It is remarkable how much has changed since then. Marx once said that as soon as the bourgeoisie decides democracy is no longer in its political interests, it will shut it down. It looks like he was right. Two-and-a-half years on from the 2017 election, and our parliament, with Labour’s support, has rejected every form of Brexit placed before it, from No Deal to May’s Deal. The Liberal Democrats have made a mockery of their name by backing the revocation of Article 50. And the policy of the now largely middle-class Labour Party is to pursue a second referendum in which it will put its own new Brexit deal, based on close alignment with the EU, against Remain.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote