View Single Post
Old 28-01-2020, 09:49   #3507
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
I wouldn't say it's cynicism more looking at things in real terms. The true definition of poverty in past times was not having enough to feed or cloth yourself - now people plead poverty because they can't buy their kids the latest trainers or x-box games. The term poverty (like racism and a whole host of other -isms) lose their true meaning and those most in need end up ignored because the lazy and frivolous cry that they are 'deprived'. People who hold a similar ethic throughout the EU have seen this country as a magnet and soft touch because of the handout culture we have. Getting out of the EU is a start but it is only the tip of the iceberg - once out we need to end this 'entitled' culture.
I grew up in the times when poverty meant having nothing to eat.
I once went into our pantry and all that was in there was a tin of Marie Elisabeth Sardines, a packet of pearl barley and half a bag of Spillers dog biscuits.....and I know that my Mum went hungry so that we could be fed.

As for the entitled culture, I think that WE bred that into our children(I use the 'we' in a collective sense).
It is going to be a hard ask to breed it out of them.

I do not want anyone to 'give' me anything.
I have always paid my way and I want to be able to continue to do that without governmental meddling.

Cynicism is a label attached to those who tell it as they see it...and anyone on here who knows me....knows that this is my trademark.

Ryewolf, as for the Oxford comma.....well not very long ago there was a move to abolish apostrophes.....because folk were too lazy to get them right......a comma is a useful thing, but I am led to believe the Oxford comma is an optional bit of punctuation and is not always necessary.
If the comma is omitted and it does not alter the sentiment then what is the point of using it...well other than showing that you KNOW about it and how it is to be used....academic.
As for Philip Pullman he is nit picking because like many other remainers who have thrown barbs at us wanting to mark an event in history...he would like us all to shut up because he is in denial.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote