Thread: Eddie Paynter
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 14:25   #1
Steerforth

Eddie Paynter

Perhaps the most famous of his Test appearances came against Australia, on the "Bodyline tour" of 1932/33. At Brisbane, Paynter was taken to hospital suffering from tonsillitis, yet with England in difficulty at 216/6 in reply to Australia's 340, came out to bat. After spending the night in hospital, he made his way to 83 and helped his team to an unlikely first-innings lead, and though he only fielded for a couple of hours, returned for the second innings and had the honour of hitting the winning runs – with a six off Stan McCabe. Paynter averaged a fine 61.33 over his five innings on this tour.

I found this clipping in my files. It must be from about 1975. My mum and dad always told a story: After Eddie got up from his sick bed and won the ashes, the town of Clayton-le-Moors held a welcoming party for him. Everybody was gathered outside the local church waiting for him to arrive, but Eddie was late. The preacher's young son grew very impatient, and suddenly yelled out at the top of his lungs, "WHERE'S THIS BLOODY PAINTER?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eddie Paynter.jpg (723.4 KB, 9 views)
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web